Sunday 10 June 2012

Polygamy In My Views Based On The Bountiful Community




 Source: Youtube, 16x9: Inside Bountiful: Polygamy investigation


Certainly we are all aware of the fact that news is bias. In my opinion the majority if not all of news are influenced by the attitudes of writers, directors, interviewers, editors and photographers. Watching  this video makes me wonder how much the definition of  polygamy is created by media.

In my previous blogs I have been neutral not supporting either side, trying to interpret all the different views and perspectives of weather polygamy should or should not be legal. However, with reference to this video I will now be listing my points of view to why polygamy should remain to be illegal.

Partially I think this video is intended to show polygamous people who undergo modern changes along with the rest of the world and showcase polygamy as not violating human rights. However me as a viewer was not convinced because:

-Winston Blackmore polygamous family are still implying strict gender roles.
-It is necessaries for a child to have equal love and attention from both parents, however Blackmore has more then 130 children which is impossible to even remember their names.

-Portrays how much polygamy is influenced by the United States.

-It capters how ones interpretation of polygamy is forced upon others.

-Blackmores wife mentions how she has to preaper breakfast for around 200 people which in my opinion is an example how polygamy limits individual growth.

-In six second footage (between 3:35 and 3:41) it makes me question family values polygamous individuals claim to have because of  Blackmores interaction with his daughters like they are strangers.

-Blackmore is very uncertain and hesitant when answering questions from the reporter which makes me think Blackmore is not telling the truth.

Overall the Blackmore family does not showcase stability and a strong definition of polygamy that can support the legalization of polygamy; each person reports different opinions of what polygamous lifestyle is. I was not able to spot one common complementarity definition of polygamy in Blackmores community which influences my final statement; Polygamy should not be legalized.
 


3 comments:

  1. Hey Dorina,
    Thank you for posting this video. It really helped me understand the life style of a women living in a polygamous household; something i was never subjected to before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the video and post. It was very informative. I remember seeing it a while ago and thought that it showed how secluded and isolated their lives are. I can easily see what side you are on and I agree that their rights are not being fully met.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne and Esther
    Thank you for the comments, I really think this video showed unstably of polygamous lives. I know that individuals who claim to be in polygamy is because of the strong bond of family and this video absolutely failed to paint that image.

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete